Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Waterford Hills Race #3 Recap

Oh my...I won...I actually won in ITB...and I won twice. I am still in a little shock really.

The first race was described below. Leaders spun, I got pass, Marsh wrecked and I outran Kimi. Crazy. Oh and the video did not work, I got two minutes of sitting on grid. Note to self buy new batteries for video camera.

The second race was more interesting and I have the video to prove it. I decided just before the green flew that I should be in third....oops. Wrong move. The leaders started very slow this weekend. Kimi got by quickly. So I followed her...tried to get around her a few times. Drove in the dirt, drove over some curbs. Nearly spun coming onto the front stretch once. Scared #15 Jim in the Rabbit behind us. Bumped her once down the straight away. She even pointed me by once but I had half the car in the grass out of turn five at that point. I watched her remove her sunglasses. Then....(angels singing)...it began to rain. With two to go we crossed the start/finish line. Going into turn three Kimi almost lost it. I went high, thinking she had it save and just clipped her (see pictures below). That was enough to get by. Going into eight on the same lap, I decided to make it interesting and drove in the grass. Kimi got right next to me again. Little did I know (and she isn't going to be happy I am mentioning this) but Kimi did not have the wiper blades on her car. So she couldn't see very well. I passed her back. One to go and it is now full bore raining. I opened up some space on her and I am glad I did. Going into turn seven, where the track goes from asphalt to concrete (imagine snow to slightly melting ice with enough water on top....well you get the picture) and off I go. I FLOORED it and hopped back on the track. I won the race. It was ugly but it was a win. Crazy.

That was the last race of the day due to the weather, even though we didn't get much bad weather after the rain stopped but it was the right call by the officials. Better safe then sorry.

Haven't been in the garage since putting Old Glory in there after the weekend but I think minus a little paint (Kimi you can come pick it up anytime) and missing a side marker, everything held together. I will probably perform a oil change and a fuel filter change between now and the next race weekend (really 3 weeks I have to wait).

I may pull out the Rusty the derby car and go race the weekend after 4th of July. I am also figuring out the budget to see if Mid-Ohio and the I.T. Fest is in there. I think it just might. I have to get the old trust tow vehicle to make it down there (271,000 miles in all).

It has been an absolutely awesome 7 days. CHWC and racing at Waterford, it has been a blessing!

Be safe, Drive safe and God bless

1 comment: