Sunday, June 13, 2010

Four Spinning Cars

Even though I am tried, wore out, muddy, sore and not-ready for the work week, can I ask this question? -> When can I start racing again? Having the time of my life.
God is so good.

On Saturday it was great to have Chris Childs helping out. The car was fast even on old tires for STU qualifying. I changed the tires for ITB qualifying and promptly forgot to torque down the left rear. The race was fast on the track but loose. I stopped between turn 4 & 5 after qualifying to discover the issue. I tore up the wheel pretty bad, is it is now junk. Luck would have it the wheel studs held up well being steel and the aluminum wheel…not so much. We also found out the suspension bar in back was loose as well. And some bushings need to be replaced in the rear suspension.
For race the STU race, it was a fun challenge racing the #18 SN leader David Houser. I got passed him on the last lap in turn six, but still finished 3rd in class (out of three) and 12th overall.
The ITB race was an absolute blast. I start 9th, which I have never started that close to the front before. That is where I finished. I followed very closely to the ITC cars of Steve Steeb and Kris Smith. I finished 3rd in class. I beat Kimi (sorry) and I beat Bob in the #88 for the first time ever. The adjustments Chris made were exactly what the driver needed. I record my fastest lap ever 1:22.159

On Sunday, things got a lot more interesting.
First the STU class race was run in the rain and the rain tires did not help a whole lot. I finished way down in the order and seemed to get passed by everyone.

In the ITB class race the track was drying up. I started fifth, because all the ITS drivers decided to start in the back. (I think they all went crazy). I got an ok start and was side-by-side with #90 Steve going into turn 5 where he just plain smoked me going into the corner, I think he forgot to brake. Really, you should watch the video….

Quick side note, I have video, but no idea how to edit it. I have to figure it out because see it is so cool. I guess I could try to upload the 40 plus minute video, but I like the blog.

Now going into turn eight on the first lap Steve made a move inside #39 Kris (both ITC cars by the way) and passed him, I followed into turn one. Then Steve spun out in turn three, just brushing Dave. Then I started over driving the car seeing Dave. Two wheels off out of five, hit the curb in six and then put the car off the track in turn eight. Kris and #73 Kimi got by. Kimi getting by only lasted two and a half laps where she spun (scarying the heck out of me…so much I almost blew the next corner) coming onto the back stretch and spinning to the inside.
I only lost two positions the rest of the race to two ITS cars. 3rd in ITB, fifth overall…I have never finished in the Top 5 before.

The STU race was uneventful. I finished only 2 seconds behind the STU leader, I had a tough start, but had a great consistent race.

The ITB feature race was again eventful. First the rains came (As seen in the picture below) and I chose to stay on slicks hoping the rain would stop and it did for about 5 laps. First I spun the tires at the start and a few cars got by. Kimi spun going into turn eight in front of me. Later in the race, after #24 Mr. Mudd in the Fiero following Liz in the #2 ITS Miata by me down the back stretch, he spun out coming out of turn two. I finished first….on slick tires…in class (4th) and 8th overall.






2 comments: