Monday, June 14, 2010

In the Garage Update & CHWC

How come every time I go into the garage after a race weekend I find more stuff broken?

On Sunday night, I was going to simply change the starter. Easy task right? I wanted to take off the right front wheel to get better access to it. Well here is the list of items I found.

Right front tire – flat spotted
Brakes – almost wore down to the rotor….both sides
Front bearings – needs grease replaced…both sides (Ok I admit that Chris told me I needed to do this anyway)
Radiator fan – missing fasteners, made a slight impression into the radiator

So needless to say the brake pads are on order, I have the grease and I will be making a trip to the hardware store. Also I must go to the tire shop to get some tires mounted. Yikes!

I only have this week to get everything done, because I am going on vacation….well I view it as a vacation, many probably don’t view it as a vacation.

Here is the deal - I am leaving at 5am on Sunday morning June 20th to go to Milwaukee WI. I am one of 12 chaperones taking 60, yes sixty (They out number us 5 to 1 for you math majors), high schoolers on a mission trip. This is my fifth trip with the St. Anne’s & St. Daniel’s youth groups. The Catholic Heart Work Camp (CHWC) is the organization that runs this event. They are in four different cities each week, every week for about 12 weeks for the summer, mostly east of the Rockies. There will be almost 400 people in camp in Milwaukee. They are based in Orlando, FL. We will travel on Sunday. One tour bus, one smaller bus, and one van with trailer (That I will be driving). Monday through Thursday the schedule goes something like this. Wake up, breakfast, pack lunches, get tools, gather up and go into the local community for service projects, from helping elderly clean up their yards, to minor home renovation, to church projects. Return to base camp, eat dinner and then various program activities for the night. I always seem to get volunteered for the adult skit one night. Then on Friday it is “Fun Day” and we will be going to Six Flags near Chicago. Then head back home, arriving sometime Friday night or Saturday morning. Then I go to the race track. Yep, I have done that schedule the same way the last three years. Crazy…maybe...fun…you bet.

I enjoy this time with the youth. It also is a great time for me to focus on my many blessings and the many gifts He has given me. Every time I take this trip I hope I teach something to someone, but I learn a lot from the youth too. It is a joy to work with these great kids and know that the future is in their hands, and they will do a great job with it.

Anyway…wow I got a little sided tracked…Let’s hope the schedule will work out and I can get everything done before going to Wisconsin.

Be safe and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment