Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday Practice

Just a quick note...ok it didn't turn out that way...LOL

Everything went very well today in the #5 VW Golf owned by Al. Secret is out now ;-)

I ran three practice sessions. After the second session, Al worked on the toe of the front wheels. Things were very comfortable, stable and fairly fast (like someone told me I ran a 1:23.5). I am driving it like a rental which is good.
The front tires are from Old Glory and the rears are old ones Al had. They are different sizes to make the car turn better. Good tires, but not great.
I sit a little different in the car, but the steering wheel seems easier to turn and shifting is heaven compared to the Mustangs. The car doesn't roll....(choose different word)...lean as far as I thought it would and even after hitting a curb or two.

FWD vs RWD - Big difference to me is that in a RWD car, you have to be on the throttle to get it to steer....FWD the exact opposite. I have to brake later in the FWD car and turn while braking, something foreign to me. And also use both feet and brake and gas at the same time...again...foreign. The Mustang was mostly one input at a time.

Oh, by the way, I am not missing the fact I have to brake LATER. Just what my mind needs...brake later...at least the brakes worked very well today. This is a mental game for sure...a mental game...the car is capable...the driver has to get there.

I must also mention that Dave's car was back. Looks like he left some of my paint on his car. It looks.....interesting.

Tomorrow brings, qualifying and class race #1...Mr. Marsh you sure you want to race? Oh and registration without my hard card...should be interesting.

I am having a blast in this little thing called life.

One last note...Al a frequent vistor to the blog, I have found out...told me to mention that when the car caught on fire, he was leading and still finished 4th (it caught fire on the last lap) and stop in front of the Fire & Rescue team to put out the fire! Heads up driving for sure.

Be safe, hope to see you this weekend and HEY! Keep it on the road. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment