Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What?! ITB points lead? Woodward, Test driver, The Shack and other random notes

So...wait a minute...this can't be right...65-62? I have the points lead? ITB class...me...#00 ITB Mustang Tom Forst - 65 points
#55 ITB Porsche Chris Marsh - 62 points
Wow!

I hold the points lead for ITB at Waterford Hills going into the last two race weekends. Wow, just wow...last year I was hoping to score more then one point a race and...finish...on the lead lap!

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to go "cruising" on Woodward. It was a blast sitting in the passenger seat and saying "Wanna race" all night long! :-) I will say hearing the tires chirp in third gear after sliding through first and second was a blast. I COULD NOT BELIEVE PEOPLE WERE ALREADY SITTING OUT IN LAWN CHAIRS! And there were plenty of cars to look at. I went with my buddy Scott from work. He has a quarter mile Mustang - Fox body of course... 331, 5.4L, no fuel injection, no nos, but it was a sleeper, he changed the tires ;-)

Last Sunday, in the early morning hours on Belle Isle, I had a great opportunity. Mike O. that I race against at Waterford Hills (and beat..soundly his ITS Golf...hehehehe) happens to be the road test coordinator at AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE (I wonder if they want to sponsor a vintage racecar? Hmmmm). Since we are all so technologically advanced, he facebooked me (is that a verb?) and asked if I would be willing to "Autocross" - drive a car really fast thru cones, like highway construction zones but without other cars, a 2010 VW GTi and a 2010 Honda Civic Si. Since I was a twenty something and drove a racecar, that I could see which one I liked better. Well of course I said I am in. So I went with helmet in hand, they took pictures of me...I don't know why...LOL. And I looked the cars over, sat in them, learned which gear was 1st, stalled the cars a few times, got comfortable in them, opened the hood, the trunk, play with the gadgets and knobs, drove them on the Autocross course...I felt bad for the other guy with the 2010 VW GTi...I made a better lap then him...hehehehe...of course he didn't stall it on the start line once. And I made a great pick....and you will have to pick up a copy of the November issue to find out.
It was a great opportunity and a great time. Thanks Mike.

Random Notes

*I still follow NASCAR, but I must say I watch races less and less. With technology I can watch the whole race in "10 minutes" on yahoo.com on Monday at work....no I mean...ummm, Sunday night at home ;-)...ok at work...during lunch! Oh and I can NOT stand "The Chase"...proof it is not working. Matt Kenseth will make "The Chase" more then likely...wins...zero. Jamie McMurray will NOT make "The Chase" but has won the Daytona 500 and the Brickyard 400...I will remember Jamie McMurray's season 10 years from now...Matt's nope. The point...win the race, not finish somewhere in the Top 10 every week, that is the point of racing....hello NASCAR.

*It was cool sitting at the parents house watching "The Speed Report" on Sunday night and seeing the Indycars race around the Mid-Ohio track. I was like, "Yeah I was totally on that very track last week" (Wow, do I sound like blonde 14 year old). Wait...I think Milka Duno just got lapped again and just finally turned a faster lap then me...LOL

*I did both car shows listed in the other post. Some great cars, talked to a lot of people, handed out some Waterford Hill flyers, money was raised for charity...win, win. Very surprised at all the good words for my car. It seemed so out of place.

Lastly I leave with this. Life has thrown me a lot of...will say "stuff" lately (Thus the lack of posting). It is amazing the ups and downs of this roller coaster called life. God is never, ever going to give me more then I can handle, but wow, with the great comes with the not-so-great. But I guess it is how you look at it. I have been getting back to reading "The Shack". I am amazed at God's love and his faith in me. Ever time I start reading the book again, it is like He is speaking directly to me. Or any other faith based book. Surgeries, death, cancer, personal issues, and a lack of faith can bring you down quickly, but from those so much good can come from it. Hurricane Katrina...a lot of people effected by that storm are by far better off today, a stronger person today then 5 years ago. Same with this oil spill (both of them), same with Nashville flooding, Haiti and same with me, more opportunities to love, share my faith, be someone to help hold you up, be the answer to prayers by words you speak, by actions you take, just letting know we care and you have a family member praying for you, giving your talents and asking for advice to someone that now knows you trust them, and hold them up in high regard. It is not the "what" that happens to you, it is the "how" you deal with it that makes the difference.

I do sometimes wonder why I have such a passion to race. I am frankly going to be bouncing off walls this weekend not being able to be in a car and drive it to its limit (I have the last three weekends). But I always continue to wonder... what would happen without it. My family doesn't meet at the track (an opportunity to bond, get closer), I miss the great and I mean great and talented people at the track, that become friends, I find out my true friends that travel far and wide to watch the race or crew, or help in the garage. And I get confidence in myself that...well I can...do this...and do it well...that I can do anything I put my mind to and enjoy with a passion. But I get to do it because He gave me the passion, the desire and the talent. And I share my faith by showing everyone, who I am, a reflection of Him (Wait...I am not perfect..but He does show through). I am not hear to preach (not one of my talents), I just show my faith through my actions, my emotions, and I try to keep it as simple as possible. I don't know how else to do it.

I just have been shaking my head lately and just smiling. I was a test driver for an automobile magazine! I was running 3rd at Mid-Ohio out of 12 and braking so, so, so early at the end of the straight, and it was my first time...SEEING the track! I am leading the ITB points at Waterford Hills...oh my! I was a shoulder to lean on, I called a person I trusted for advice. I was the answer to prayer, and I said so many prayers the last few weeks for so many. It is humbling.

If it all ends tomorrow, it was His choice and frankly I am happy. If I never win a race again, its ok, I am, have, and will be blessed. My faith is strong and that will always be comforting.

Be safe, keep it on the road and see you at the track!

2 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy.

    God IS good, Tom, He is very very Good!

    Thanks for sharing. And remind us about that magazine when it comes out, won't you?

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chrissy. The magazine will come out in October and will be a November issue.

    ReplyDelete