Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Weekend look back

Hello race fans of TF American Racing,

Well the weekend did not end very pretty. Tom ran out of brakes down the backstretch on the last lap of the Sunday class race at Waterford Hills. Hit the curb, hit Dave C. in the #47 car (more on that later), through the sand trap and into the tire wall...and onto my lid...the roof. I didn't sit there long and came out the passenger side...don't ask me why. Hit my helmet pretty good on the padded roll cage and I have some bruising on my left side shoulder and neck. Feeling very well after two days considering. Wish someone had pictures...no video...forgot to clear out the Mid-Ohio race on the disk...got only the first lap...I was leading!

Old Glory is bent pretty good. But all the safety equipment did exactly what it was suppose to do (Thanks again Chris). The floor pan by my feet is bent, the strut came through the shock tower on the driver's side, the whole front clip is tweaked, the windshield is smashed, the radiator is twisted and the roof is pushed down on the roll cage near the windshield. Both front fenders are damaged, the front fascia had a tear, the driver's side door is a mess, and the roof is not what it once was.

The hood is actually not bad considering the car was upside down on it. The engine even turned over when I got it back to the house...only about a quarter of oil leaked out the carb while it was upside down for 15 minutes.

The brakes...well I will let that information go to through the appeals process first...if that is what I do.

Thanks to all the corner workers and rescue team for a job well done as always.

The more later part...
I tried to apologize to Dave C. after the wreck but he didn't want to hear it. He said "that was stupid...a stupid move", all he heard were locked up tires and "Did you really think YOU could out-brake ME?". I told him "I wasn't even trying to pass" him and I was sorry and left. I guess the whole distance difference...he was maybe 20-30 feet into the sand trap...I went through the 70 foot sand trap AND still had enough energy to hit the tire barrier at such a force to flip the car on its roof. Didn't really show enough proof, I had NO BRAKES. I understand he was mad and angry, maybe I shouldn't have talked to him that soon...but...well Mom always told me to say nothing if you don't have anything nice to say...

Unfortunately the protest (which he didn't even tell me he was filing) was heard and I was found at fault. Its ok, maybe I should have just quit after Dave C. passed me and settled for third and maybe I should not have "showed the nose" all the way into the inside of the back stetch (a few of the old timers including Dave, like to drive down the middle), with no chance of getting him to drive off line. Of course, if I hit the rear of his car...he has no fuel cell and that could have been really bad. I understand I didn't make a great choice, but if I had brakes we wouldn't be talking about it. Oh...I also understand I am responsible for the car...I get it...it was poor prep on my part. The car had great brakes on Saturday and I knew...and was very surprised how they faded during the race on Sunday, but I braked the earliest on that last lap then I did at all during the whole race...350 mark. No brakes.

I could appeal...no flat spots on the tires, little brake fluid left in the reservior, and the distance difference. But I will (maybe) save the 50 bucks and put it towards repairing the car.

Not sure what to do now. Old Glory has a lot of work to do, but honestly not sure if I want to race in ITB. That might pass. I was offered to race with the Miata guys...LOL.

Despite all this...I am blessed,
I posted this bit on my "For sale" post on the Waterford Hills website.
"I have been very blessed to do this, I enjoy this and I think I do it quite well, I have no regrets and get to check racing off my bucket list and I don't know what my future holds...maybe it is a Miata."
Maybe it is back to demo derby, maybe I will sell everything, maybe I retire for a few years, maybe somebody will offer me a ride, maybe I win the lotto...of course I think I have to buy a ticket first. LOL.

It has only been about 48 hours, so I think I need a little time to think about this. Even though Bryan and my neighbor Tim helped pull the fenders, headlight assy and front fascia off the car on Sunday, I haven't been motivated to do much else.
Probably need to sit down to put together a budget. Determine what the "Fix-it" budget is.

I know I posted this a while ago but I will say it again. I won a few races this year. I adapted to a new car pretty quickly and I learned a lot along the way. I am blessed, if I never take another green flag, its ok, there is a lot God has blessed me with, gifts and talents. Maybe it is time to move on, maybe I still have work to do here, but time will tell. Still had a ton of fun and worth every penny.

Wouldn't have to talk about this if I ran half throttle down the back stretch and settled for third....oh wait I was going to settle for third....LOL

...as my date said last night "Everything happens for a reason". Very true.

God Bless and really....keep it on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment