Monday, July 19, 2010

Bump and Run Oakland County 4-H Fair Results

So I had fun...not exactly the results I wanted but I had fun. (We can't always get what we want)

I arrived with Bryan and Michelle being my crew for the afternoon. The official mascots of TF American Racing were left at home (Oscar, Max & Minnie). Those are Bryan & Michelle's kids...ok dogs. Bryan is the crew chief and co-car chief. Michelle the Team Nurse.

They were finishing up the derby when we got there because it was cancelled on Thursday due to the weather. Only 12 cars show up at first. Boomer (promoter) talked about how to run the event for the afternoon. There were 7 "small car" - front wheel drive, V6 or 4 cylinder. And 5 "big cars" V8, full frame cars. They decide to split the event into two classes. Run two heats per class and one feature per class. There was a late entry for the small cars and some of the derby cars that were still running decided to join the show. 16 total cars. Jeff the tow truck driver for Tracy's Towing (They tow at Waterford Hills) came out with his "big car", he had over 30 races on it. He finished second in his heat and in the feature.

The course was setup very, very well. Kinda hard to explain, but it used a hill at one end of the track that was a figure-8 and had well built jumps.

I drew starting position number 2 out of 4. I got a great start but unfotunately run a little too fast into the figure 8 and was going the wrong way and had to stop. So by the time I backed up and started moving forward I was last with a flat tire on the driver side front. I just ran as fast as I could with the flat tire. I nose-dived over one of the jumps and knocked the front bumper off and the radiator protection bar. The bumper was underneath the car and I think kept the car high centered with the one good tire I did have. Oh well, stuff happens.

Next race....well I have two weekends of road racing with Old Glory. One at Waterford Hills and one at Mid-Ohio. A track I have never seen before, besides on tv. But I will probably run Genessee County Fair in Mt. Morris on August 18th (a Wednesday) with Rusty. I have to get the front bumper back on and the radiator protection bar. Also I have to get some tires for Rusty.

Remember you are already a winner. Be safe and keep it on the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment